Welcome to the Vanguard Membership Page!
We are hoping to expand our membership so that we can gear up our efforts to support our treasured Albany Symphony. If you are new to our organization website, consider joining Vanguard NOW to enjoy the company of interesting and talented people who share your passion for the Albany Symphony Orchestra and actively work to support it. Both leaders and workers are needed for Vanguard activities, which can vary from one-time events to longer engagements.
The Albany Symphony wrapped up its 2022-2023 season with the American Music Festival and a free concert series in several upstate NY communities. We are already looking forward to another exciting and exhilarating musical season beginning in the fall!
Vanguard has just finished its own 2022-2023 year with successful fundraising events, thanks to the most generous outpouring of support from you, our members. The season to come-beginning this summer-will be a fully engaging mix of indoor and outdoor social and fundraising events, trips, and Symphony support. We look forward to seeing you there for any or all of it.
Now we begin the annual membership renewal process, which also affords an opportunity for members to contribute to the annual MUSICIAN SCHOLARSHIP FUND. Up to four awards are made each year to our ASO musicians in recognition of their high-level work and devotion to the profession. These awards offer the opportunity to advance their skills and expertise by taking master-level instruction. They are greatly appreciated by the musicians. To that end, we encourage every Vanguard member to consider such a donation during this one-time annual appeal, using the option on the enclosed renewal form.
Of course, the form also provides for your renewal of membership at whichever level you choose — individual ($40) or patron ($65). We ask that you renew by August 11, 2023.
Below is a listing of various activities in which Vanguard members support our amazing Albany Symphony and also enjoy some engaging membership events. We hope these pique your interest and we encourage you to bring new ideas in for discussion to expand these ideas!
SUPPORT THE MUSICIANS!
- Orchestra Hospitality: occasionally prepare finger food for musicians, the conductor, and soloists backstage at concerts, and during the breaks.
- Orchestra Guests: Drive visiting soloists and composers to and from the airport or train station and their hotel or the rehearsal hall. Help prepare a welcome pack for each of these Symphony guests
- Instruments for Students: You help Vanguard mount appeals from time to time for donations of musical instruments. Then assist in placing instruments with school programs for students whose families cannot support instrument rental fees.
- Musician Housing: Offer a room with a bed for orchestra members who live out of town, who need a place to sleep after a day’s travel and back-to-back evening rehearsals.
SUPPORT THE ASO!
- Concert Staff Support: Greet concertgoers as they enter the hall and answer basic questions, help them with the Box Office, lost tickets, or the Will Call desk, or sell a CD and converse with people who stop by the Symphony table.
- Tiny Tots Concert Assistance: These concerts are typically held in the spring in Albany and Saratoga, and help is needed for the orderly progress of the many, many little ones from their buses to the auditorium and then to help maintain decorum during the concert. Free admission to the concert you serve.
- Assorted Support: Assist the ASO office staff when they have a major job and need some extra hands. Sometimes this is a bulk mailing, sometimes phone call blasts, sometimes a special brunch, sometimes photocopying, sometimes the entry of data on a spreadsheet.
- Vanguard Events: Help plan a garden party, the annual meeting, a luncheon with fashion show, or other activity. the location, the food, and the invitations all need planning.
- Reminder Telephone Calls: Contact Vanguard members who do not use email. Call your assigned few people. You will be given a script about what to say. Keep track of responses.
- Day Trips: Help find places to go and transport to get there, identify an activity (Boat trip? Guided tour? Tasting session? Theatre play?), and prepare the announcement to advertise to members and the public.
These are our most frequent types of activities and projects. We are open to trying new ideas, and we welcome new people enthusiastically. Give us a try!
JOIN OR RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIP BY CLICKING ON THE “MEMBERSHIP FORM” BELOW .